Thursday, June 10, 2010

Job Search - Los Angeles, Silver Lake, Los Feliz

The blinds are pulled, the computer screen is lit up, and Craigslist begins to fade in the background from the hours of looking for that right job.

After applying for 10 jobs every day for the past month with the only reply correspondence from automated systems, I began to feel disheartened. Here is some advice for the slightly depressed job seeker:

  • Get out each day --Though Craigslist, CareerBuilder, and other job listings are the most efficient at making "contacts", getting out and handing someone an application and a resume are more rewarding.
  • Get up, Get Dressed, Grab a coffee --be sure to start your day with a routine; you will feel a sense of accomplishment, and you may meet someone.
  • Get creative -- Write one application, cover letter, or resume with a new twist; I always add a witty quote or an anecdote to at least one cover letter:
"I love making people happy, and what's more important for making people happy that making their feet happy?"

"I love those "Aha!" moments while doing research. In the Sept. publication of Nature, researchers point out that babies with deaf parents use the hands in a distinct way to communicate, when compared to babies of parents with full hearing. Language begins at seven months old, no matter what you use to communicate!"

Good luck to all!

--spanlearner

No comments:

Post a Comment