Today's task: turning down a better job, feeling "ok" about it, and winding down the search.
I'm at a crossroads of post-graduation life. I have a job, I'm going to start, it will lead to more opportunity, but it will not pay all the bills, and it is part-time. This means I have to make the decision to be loyal to an employer that isn't really supporting me with enough hours because this will be my first opportunity to build a professional reputation for sticking with a company.
This makes the most sense to me because demonstrating loyalty to a part-time job will not take years...it will take months, and earning income the other 3 days of the week will not be impossible. Who doesn't want to hire someone who won't qualify for full-time benefits?
Working two jobs, however, will have a series of disadvantages. I won't receive health benefits for my family. I will spend more on the irregular commute. A wacky schedule may force me to work a really long day, or at the very least give me a small headache. Finally, life just seems more hectic working 2 jobs (even if the hours don't equal 40).
So, I turned down a temp. agency recruiter who wanted to submit my application to an admin. job, which, to be honest, I probably didn't look "qualified" for anyway.
Here we go...forward...avoiding second guesses. And please, DON'T click on the VHS ad. It will not change your life, but you may find inspiration for you your next avante-gard doo.
No comments:
Post a Comment